Miriam Dobson has made this brilliant little infographic on intersectionality. Description beneath the image. If you liked it, you can find Miriam’s work here.
This is an infographic featuring text and descriptions
TITLE: INTERSECTIONALITY: A FUN GUIDE
1. A drawing of a triangle with a smiley face. The triangle is two shades of blue striped. A speech bubble comes from his mouth saying “Hi”. It is captioned “This is Bob”.
2. Caption: “Bob is a stripey blue triangle AND SHOULD BE PROUD.” Bob has a speech bubble saying “YAY ME”.
3. Caption: “SOME PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE BOB. BOB FACES OPPRESSION FOR BEING A TRIANGLE AND FOR HAVING STRIPES” Image of Bob with a sad face, positioned between stick figures holding a sign saying “Down with stripes” and another set of stick figures holding a sign saying “Down with triangles”.
4. Caption: “LUCKILY THERE ARE LIBERATION GROUPS! BUT THEY AREN’T INTERSECTIONAL. SO THEY LOOK LIKE THIS” An arrow points to two rooms, separated by a barbed wire fence. A room with a sign saying “welcome triangles” with triangles inside of many different solid colours. A room with a sign saying “welcome stripes” featuring many different shapes with stripes.
5. Caption: “BOB CAN’T WORK OUT WHERE TO GO”. Bob has a sad face. His thought bubble says “Am I more of a stripe, or a triangle?”
6. Caption: “THEY DON’T TALK TO EACH OTHER. IN FACT THEY COMPETE”. A solid yellow triangle with a cross face is next to a pink striped circle with a cross face. The solid yellow triangle says “I’m more oppressed”. The pink striped circle says “No! I am! I deserve more!”
7. Caption: “BOB WISHES TRIANGLES AND STRIPES COULD WORK TOGETHER”. An arrow points to a red striped circle with an open mouth, and a solid blue triangle with an open mouth. The red striped circle says “Oppression of one affects us all”. The solid blue triangle says “No liberation without equal representation”.
8. Text, in red: “INTERSECTIONALITY IS THE BELIEF THAT OPPRESSIONS ARE INTERLINKED AND CANNOT BE SOLVED ALONE”.
9. Text, in black: “OPPRESSIONS ARE NOT ISOLATED! INTERSECTIONALITY NOW”.
8 thoughts on “This is the bestest briefing on intersectionality ever- with added description”
Reblogged this on fearlessknits and commented:
If you don’t already follow Stavvers, I don’t know what you think you’re doing, but in case you missed it, this is awesome. Such a brilliantly simple explanation of what it means to be intersectional.
Thanks for posting this! If you could link to miriamdobson.wordpress.com that would be great x
Done, and once again thank you for making this!
Reblogged this on l’esprit-d’escalier and commented:
Amazing graphical representation of intersectionality. THIS IS NOT COMPLICATED, PEOPLE!
I love this cartoon! One note:
holding a sign saying “Down with triangles”.
It says “God hates triangles”.
yessss to uniting all oppressed
This image never stops being incredible. The quickest description I can give is ‘intersectionality is based on the idea that we shouldn’t be selfish!’ :p
Damn. Skippy! Silence the Guns of the Patriarchs! Intersectionality Now, and Equality Forever! 🙂